Greek Easter Koulourakia (Cookies)
27 April 2016 Entertainment
INGREDIENTS FOR KOULOURAKIA
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 sticks crisco or vegetable baking sticks
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (lemon or almond extract could be substituted)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 cups flour
- egg wash
- Jimmies, sprinkles, colored decorating sugars or sesame seeds
- In an electric mixer, mix together butter and Crisco until whipped.
- Add eggs and extract.
- Blend in confectioner’s sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together baking powder and flour.
- Slowly add to butter mixture.
- Dough should be workable but not too sticky.
- Roll out dough on to floured surface and braid.
- (Make and practice a few braids too!)
- Place on cookie sheet, brush with egg wash and decorate with sesame seeds, sprinkles and sugars.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
Powered by WPeMatico