Greek Tiropita (Cheese Pie) Spiral Recipe
7 November 2017 frontpage
Tiropita (Greek cheese pie) is the favourite pie of all Greeks. Second to this, would be Spanakopita (spinach pie). For Greeks, Tiropita can be their breakfast, lunch or even (a part of) dinner. Tiropita is loved by everyone, even non-Greeks!
Here’s an easy recipe for all! Kali orexi!
400g phyllo dough for pies (14 ounces)
600g (Over a pound) Greek feta cheese (Tripolis or Dodonis), crumbled
1/2 Bar of Unsalted Butter, clarified
- To prepare this Greek “Tiropita” cheese pie with commercial phyllo dough, thaw phyllo dough by placing it in the fridge for 4-5 hours.
- Start by preparing the cheese filling first. In a large bowl, add crumbled Greek feta cheese from Greece (Tripolis or Dodonis are best), add 5 eggs, hand mix well. It is important to use high quality Greek feta as this will make or break the taste of your Tiropita.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly oil the bottom and sides of a round baking tray (approx. 35cm diameter).
- Clarify 1/2 a bar of unsalted butter in a small pot, until butter has completely melted.
- Unroll your phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place one sheet of phyllo on a working surface. Using a pastry brush, brush with unsalted butter. Spread some of the filling, making a lane on the edge of the larger side of the phyllo sheet and roll into a ‘sausage’. Place the roll on the baking tray, starting from the center of the tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the rolls (touching each other) in the baking tray, forming a ‘snail’, that leads to the corners of the round baking tray. Brush the surface of the pie with unsalted butter and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 30-35 minutes, until nicely colored and crispy. Serve this delicious Tiropita while still warm as an appetizer. Kali orexi!
Powered by WPeMatico